Tuesday, March 13, 2007

One Lane Closer To A Collision


"The driver was in my lane and driving really fast, and that was it - bam, it's over" ~ Clark Metcalfe

"Why do you like driving in the left lane so much, Alfonso?" I asked as our green Malibu tooled down Rte 14.

"I don't know. Its faster I guess." answers my student. "You want me to move into the right?"

"Well yeah, but I'm worried about the choices you're going to be making when I'm not here to hound you."

Alfonso signals, checks his mirrors and blind spot, and takes the car safely into the right lane.

"Man, why do I always have to tell you to do that? What are the two main reasons for spending time in the left lane?"

"To prepare for a left turn and to pass." he sighs.

"Right! And why shouldn't you stay positioned in the left lane if your not going to do either one of those things?"

"Because it forces passing traffic to to weave from lane to lane." Alfonso sighs again.

"Yes, that's what the book says, but what else? What is something that's way more important to you?"

"Man, I don't know!"

"How about because when you're driving in the left lane you're closer to oncoming traffic. What happens if one of the jokers on the other side falls asleep or stoops down to pick up a a french fry? What happens if one of those cars comes across the yellow line?"

Probably a head-on collision!" Alfonso perks up.

"Well, if you're in the right lane when that oncoming traffic crosses the center line, you'll have just that much more time and space to get out of the way. Might make all the difference between a trip to the morgue or one to your girlfriend's house."

All depends on where you want to go.

No comments: